Sunday, October 4, 2009

64 Blondies in a Hurry

As if the title of this blog didn't convey the idea enough, let me be clear: I'm impatient. And a procrastinator.  Not a good combination.  Nor qualities to be proud of, but it's an unchangeable part of my genetic make-up, without a doubt.  And, uh-oh, I signed up to bake for a church bake sale in a moment of .....optimism. 
Now here's how to make 64 Blondies in a big rush.
You need a half-sheet pan.   I use these constantly.  Spray it with Pam.
Then put a sheet of parchment paper on top.  The Pam holds it to the pan.  I buy sheet parchment paper on ebay.
Then spray your parchment paper with Pam, too.  This is one of those steps that's okay to leave out, but I usually do it.


Then, take 4 sticks of butter, softened, and a full bag of brown sugar.  Or 4 cups of brown sugar.Put them in the mixing bowl with the butter and add a big glug of vanilla and a nickel size pile of salt. 

By the way, my vanilla bottle looks like that because I make my own vanilla elixir with vodka and vanilla beans. Another post, someday.
So now, start the mixer and go turn on the oven to 350.
Add four eggs, one at a time to the sugar /butter mixture.  When that is thoroughly mixed, you can start adding Self-Rising Flour.  If you don't have SR flour, add 3 tsp. baking powder at the end.
Add SR flour till it's really stiff, about 5cups.



Then you can add chocolate chips.  Or instead, cinnamon, nutmeg and clove.  Your choice, but not both.  I added the chocolate, no debate there, because I had the chips.  Spread it out on the parchment paper using a wet spatula, and throw it in the oven for 30 minutes, or until cracks on top don't shine.   That is, they are NOT WET.

Now here comes the important part, the cutting.



Take the trusty Pam and spray your knife or use a pizza cutter.  Start by cutting in half.  Then each half in half, and so on, until you have 7 cuts each way, vertical and horizontal.  So now you have a #$%load of cookies to take to whatever event you are obligated to do so, and in about 40 minutes.  Or you could eat them.


No comments: